Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Moments That Change A Life

Last week on Monday, my husband's parents and brother were supposed to be driving across the state to visit us.  Instead my husband and I drove over 6 hours to the hospital where my father-in-law lay on life support, so that we could say our goodbyes.  Then we stayed by his side as he passed on.

It was one of the saddest and hardest things I have ever had happen in my life.  I have lost many people in my life, but had never been with someone as they passed away.  As sad as it was to be there, I am glad we were able to be there.  We were able to say goodbye and we were able to be there with him so he wasn't alone as his life slipped away.

This experience has really affected me.  I have been grieving deeply, but have also learned from this happening. I learned that it is important to always let people know how you feel about them so that there are no regrets if they pass away.  I have always felt awkward with being "touchy/huggy" with people or telling people I love them (other than to my husband, my children, and my parents).  I don't want to continue that route, so I have already begun working on that in myself.  I am pretty sure I caught my brother-in-law off guard when I gave him a hug this past week, but I know I would feel awful if anything happened and he never knew that I consider him my brother.

I know this is completely cliche', but life really is too short.  Goes along with the other cliche' of "live like there's no tomorrow."  I started to realize this after my husband and my dear friend passed away last fall and now with losing my father-in-law it is cemented into my mind.  So now I am making changes in my life.

There is a song that is now one of my favorites, which I think fits very well for how I want to be now.
For King & Country "Proof of Your Love"




No comments:

Post a Comment